The reference to 'hot rocks' convinces me of the authenticity of these plans. You've got yourself some real living history here, worth at least 5000.
- Fact 1: Iwo Jima was the only U.S. Marine battle where the American casualties exceeded that of the Japanese.
- Fact 2: The volcanic rock of Iwo Jima allowed the creation of very strong concrete fortifications, making the battle especially tough.
- Fact 3: 30,000 Marines landed on the first day of battle.
- Fact 4: Because Japanese defeat was assured from the start, the defense of Iwo Jima was designed delay and dissuade further attacks on the Home Islands.
- Fact 5: Iwo Jima was bombed by warships for three straight days before the Allied invasion. Because of the underground and fortified defenses in place, the bombings had little effect on Japanese forces.