These are definitely real, and rare. I'd say less than 50 mitts like this were ever made by this company. At auction these could get 3500 or more.
- Fact 1: Metal hand restraints date back to the 4th Century BC.
- Fact 2: The word "handcuff" comes from the Anglo-Saxon noun "handcop," meaning "to catch hands."
- Fact 3: To collectors, antique hand restraints are worth more with the original key.
- Fact 4: Modern versions of these hand restraints are automated and can be controlled remotely.
- Fact 5: Harry Houdini, famous for escaping from all manner of restraints, would frequently swallow and then regurgitate small keys during his acts.